Scriptbloggers

Blogging about scripts

Sedo Sucks ! (Another update)

If you are new to my whole issue with Sedo please read 1)Here & 2)Here then it will be more interesting to continue reading how Sedo treats the domain sellers.

And here is the rest of story…

After passing 4 days of my last email mentioned in the two posts before, and getting no reply I decided to write again asking the status of my email and why they just avoid replying my specific question and a day after I got an email stating “Cancellation of transfer of my domain” !!!

And in that email they simply said the buyer didn’t cooperate and this cancellation is necessary.

That was easy, wasn’t it?

You may not believe how terrible they are when it comes to customer support ! I just don’t get the meaning of GUARANTEED SALE they mentioned in their Faq and I don’t know who is responsible for the 45 days they just wasted my time ?

People may think this was not their fault but I believe it is theirs as they don’t allow direct contact of parties that’s why they have that ridiculous commission on sale. Besides, I don’t care if my domain is not sold, I care about the time they killed by putting me into a kind of “contract and obligation”.

So I want to know what would happen if I (as the seller) sell the domain to someone else while this transfer was in progress ?

If you have ever tried to offer on a domain on Sedo you definitely have noticed that they won’t allow you, till you have a valid credit card on the file so what happened this time ?

It’s funny that one time I received an email they wanted to send to buyer by mistake and here was all they asked:

“…..the transfer will be cancelled and your Sedo account will be put under review.”

WOW that was scary LOL.

Anyway I’m still fighting to get at least a reasonable reply but the overal experience is:

Sedo works only for smooth and easy transactions and all they do is to wait till buyer pays, take their ridiculous commission and pass the rest to seller.

Following up is not even listed in their “to do list” and they just seek for easy money if failed they don’t care how long they have wasted your time, they simply cancel the deal !

Nice headacheless way of making money, isn’t it?

With no hope I will keep here updated.

Cheers,

Soroush

20 comments

20 Comments so far

1. Drew August 1st, 2007 3:45 pm

I found this post by searching “Sedo Sucks” and I must say I can’t agree more. I received an email this morning notifying me that my account was closed my revenue withheld because some unnamed domain was audited by their team and a traffic analysis showed it was not “natural” (type in or search engine). This comes right after I sold a domain for 3000 on their site that was generating 3,000 unique hits a day which were primarily referrals and type-ins as it was a PR5 alexa rank 50,000 domain I managed to snag as it was deleted prematurely by Godaddy. So this generated most of the income for last month and now they are trying to weasel out of paying me? Not to mention the domain transfer process was anything but speedy. Once I pushed the domain into their account it took them over a week to simply accept the transfer, and I never received any reply to my several inquiries sent in that time.

Good luck with selling your domain Soroush, hopefully it’ll go a lot better this time with a professional domain selling company.

SEDO SUCKS!

2. soroush August 2nd, 2007 6:49 am

I’m sorry to hear your issue with Sedo but I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.
    You’re not gonna believe it but they stopped replying back to my emails !!
    I just can’t believe such behavior from such a big company.
    Soon I’m going to publish their emails and my replies and my unanswered questions !

SEDO REALLY SUCKS!

3. simone September 5th, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks to companies like Sedo and people like you its about impossible these days to get a decent domain name for an actual website project… not just a page of advertisements… that isn’t being resold at 25,000% of the original cost of a domain.

It doesn’t matter what domain name you end up with because as they say in the industry “content is king”. A crappy useless website with the coolest domain name is still a crappy useless website. The nature of the domain name may draw in a portion of the visitors but if your websites suck, your visitors will not stick around long and they certainly won’t return… and you will not make the cover of BusinessWeek magazine anytime soon. A website with great content will be great no matter what domain name you stick onto it. There are tons of websites out there that are huge… and they have the oddest domain names you could think of… because those people have enough sense not to pay $3,000.00 for a domain name when they can get something else for $8.00 a year.

I am amazed at the fact that people like you think you have the right to rip everybody off. You don’t make anything… you just chop up the work of others and sell off the pieces. Most of your customers probably don’t know any better.

Reselling $8 domain names with “statistics” and “high traffic rates” for $3000 is the biggest scam in the virtual business world. High traffic rates are useless because most of the time these sites harvest a general audience when a website owner would need a targeted audience… and even then… that traffic rating will quickly change once the domain owner puts up his own website. Just because the domain name had a high traffic rate before the owner bought the domain doesn’t mean people are going to stick around after the owner buys the domain if he puts up a useless… crappy website. And as for the statistics… well… as a Computer Science graduate… I am qualified to tell you that statistics that are complex are basically meaningless. Only simple statistics are circumstantial.

Basically… when you people sell some poor sap an $8 domain for $3000… it is like selling a $1 lottery ticket for $375 because “it could be the winner!”

If you build a website that rocks the house and everybody loves and keeps going back to it… its not going to matter one bit what domain name it has. It could be the ugliest and least memorable domain name… if people really love the website and get lots of use out of it… they will bookmark the website… copy and paste the address… write it down on paper… no matter what the domain name looks like.

The only people who NEED to buy a particular and memorable domain name do not have a website worth remembering.

I think we should do away with domain names altogether and just give out numerical addresses… as generic as a phone number or a street address.

Have a great time supporting bottom feeding services like SEDO and an entire industry that thrives on ripping people off.

4. simone September 5th, 2007 6:09 pm

Also… if you would rather buy something and sit on it than to let someone else have it who could put it to good use… just so they can try to get rich quick without actually contributing anything to society… you are basically making a living hijacking things that you do not need just to make a buck.

It would be one thing if you took an $8 domain and sold it for maybe $30 or maybe even $50… but $3,000??? You are basically ensuring survival of the richest and not the survival of the most innovative. If you want a domain name for whatever reason, and you are working independently on a shoestring budget, you are basically screwed. Because you people are greedy… you’d rather leave a perfectly good domain sit on the shelf for years on end when it could be put to good use just selfish. Its not enough to make a reasonable profit… $200%… you gotta hold out for the big jackpot payoff at around 20,000%.

Ridiculous!

5. Kiran September 12th, 2007 10:39 am

SEDO is Sick!!

I parked a premium domain in sedo and once it started generating enough revenue, Sedo closed my account with the similar reason Drew was mentioning. This is absurd. there is no warning mechanism before they can do it.

I lost hundreds of revenue that month due to their mean behavior, Sedo is not responding now and I dont have any proof of my earnings from my domains.

They better behave well with their clients or get a rotten apple.

Sedo Sucks to the core. Its very disappointing

6. Affiliate Marketing Tips March 15th, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi, I am not into buying and selling domain names myself but with all the bad press companies like sedo are getting, i am glad i haven’t dabbled into this.

What has me particularly worried is that I have not come across any blogs or forums where Sedo has bothered to post a rebutal or explanation.

With regard to buying a $10 domain for $3000, monique needs to understand that these domain names are expensive because some one has bothered to build ranking and backlinks to that domain.

These are hot because, if you buy a domain name that has been well optimized with back links in the past, You will see some of the traffic to the old site when you put up your site. The backlinks are still all there on the web so you get indexed quickly and have sources of traffic you probably would not be able to build in 6 months of hard work.

7. Affiliate Fraud March 27th, 2008 11:04 am

I too am getting bothered with all these expried domains and parked advertisements. Sedo is full of it.

8. EricSoberian April 2nd, 2008 6:32 am

This is a disgusting business practice.

It will someday bite them in the backside. My account was just closed after generating over $140 in 6 weeks. I am truly speechless. I was hoping to generate some consistent revenue from their program, and I am disappointed to hear that it is nothing but a cheap scam.

If there is anyone who knows how to resolve this or perhaps a more trustworthy domain parking company, please email me at ericsoberian@yahoo.com … This is truly sad. Shame on those people at SEDO.

9. Antontion Khan April 26th, 2008 11:53 am

You are right. Sedo doesn’t give its customers much attentions when it comes to domain sales. Phone calls are not returned, the web site sales contact email address is wrong on their web site. One of my domains was approved for premium auction, but they asked me to lower the reserve, I did that and reapplied, the very same domain was not approved. I can’t even contact them to find out why. I had better experience with Moniker who took the same domain to their live auction and listed it for $500K, though it was not sold, I appreciate the attention my account representative gave me. Afternic is probably not as well know, but they are not as rigid as Sedo

10. keemo September 27th, 2008 10:08 am

SEDO is the worst domain broker ever. Their customer support is terrible. One more thing is really pissing me off is that when I submit a great .COM domain to their top domains and I don’t even get an explanation on why my domain hasn’t been placed on the top domains!

I was able to sell some domain with other brokers with an average of $2000 but was never able to sell anything with SEDO.

11. Lana March 4th, 2009 11:08 pm

Sedo has a huge market share and I really got no idea why. Their service is terrible. Their support is worse. I had my account cancelled a few days ago no replies. In my honest opionion just sell your domains yourself.

12. Lana March 4th, 2009 11:12 pm

Just to add I suspect that they let newbies join for a month or so and as the money generated from parking gets to a level they deem enough they cancel the account and keep the revenue. Of course they will probably rate domains first. If you got good ones they will leave you on. If you dont they dont bother.

13. Tom Rask May 30th, 2009 10:20 am

I can comfirm that as of todays date, Sedo still sucks. Same pattern of behavior as you all describe. Details:

I have sold domain names through them and was now trying to buy one. I had problem “certifying” using my credit card, I kept getting this error message:

“This method has been locked due to it’s incorrect usage. Please try another method”.

I wrote and said that “no, I am not going to try another method, fix this or I will close my account”. The problem is their system, not my credit card. I tried two different ones.

Here is their response:

Thanks so much for getting in touch with us. We are sorry to see you go, but your account has been closed as requested. We hope you will reconsider Sedo for any future domain needs. Have a wonderful day and good luck in all of your endeavors!

Kind regards,
    Carolyn Chassaigne
    Customer Care

——

I did not request that my account be closed. I said that IF they did not fix this, then I will close it.

If they want to kick me out, fine. Let’s do it in an orderly fashion.

Next week, Sedo will get a certified letter from my attorney outlining the unjust enrichment claim (that’s just for warm-up) that we will puruse and how we will seek class-action status.

They don’t know who they are messing with.

I wrote back to the customer service rep above and wished HER luck in all of HER endeavors…because she will soon be looking for another job.

14. soroush June 12th, 2009 7:38 pm

Hey Tom,
    Sorry to hear your story. I hope you keep us posted about what happened after that.

The only thing Sedo customer service knows is to send out template emails! They won’t even read your email, they just look for specific keywords and send the email related to those keywords! I actually think most their responses are automatically bot generated actions because there is no way a human can be that dumb.

15. Holly July 30th, 2009 11:16 pm

I signed up with them to buy a particular domain name – I put a bid in and lo and behold got a notice that it was below the reserve so put another bid in that met the reserve. But…then the domain name went on auction and surprise, surprise….I lost the domain name. Do they really want to do business or not. It seems like the domain name is still in their possession – can’t tell that anyone new has it now but I think we should report to Better Business Bureau

16. Kahn February 4th, 2010 5:57 am

Today Sedo closed my account with out any notification, I called them 22 times and barely left 2 messages and i sent 4 e-mails.
    I really can not belive how they conduct a business, I see some people lost 600$ I lost 40-50$ but still 4 weeks of work just vanished without any reason, they could actaully notify to delete the domains which brings bad traffic, and people like us could delete the bad domains which they don’t like within 24 hours. I parked there over 50 domains and only 7 used to make some money.
    I am really pissed off because of their actions, no replies, no phone call returns, this is really sucks. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE SEDO AT ALL! Actually would be great to sue them, our domains makes money and they close the account then leave us with zero, what happens all that money we made?
    At least they have to have some responsibility!

17. Kahn February 4th, 2010 6:02 am

I see some people looking to sell and buy domains, i think best please i GODADDY.COM these guys have excellent service, excellent 24 ours customer support, they will help you big time, I wish SEDO had this type of services, but looks like they are scam! I will be reporting to Better Business Bureau, people have to know about them, we got hurt but we can warn other people!

18. Kahn February 4th, 2010 6:14 am

WE ALL SHOULD REPORT TO Better Business Bureau, MANY PEOPLE ARE HURT, WE NEED ACTION!

19. ChoCho April 29th, 2010 11:14 pm

Simone & Kiran,
    What do you guys do for a living? I think it is funny to hear you talk.
    This is a business for some people… it’s a niche and if you are good at it, you deserve to make the money.
    If I buy to resell on ebay, what? Should I be selling it to that person for what I paid? Make no profit? Ridiculous… of course not. You actually remind me of a customer I once had that got mad after she purchased something from me on ebay, she paid 50% more than I paid for it… problem was, I was leaving town and quickly trying to get it packaged and shipped off to her, I forgot to remove the sale sticker…. ROFLMAO!!!! She started attacking me, and then went into ebay forums attacking me, and was quickly put back in her place by other sellers.

She finally after 300 times of it being explained to her understood the process of buying and selling.

That’s my story.. and for both of you I mentioned above.. maybe you should start your own charity domain site, where someone comes to you and says.. I want that domain name, it.com and I will do something of substance with it since you aren’t.. oh… and I will pay you $8 for it… LOL!
    Get a life!

20. ChoCho April 29th, 2010 11:37 pm

And frankly… I don’t know why people keep waiting for emails from this stupid company…. how bout flooding their phone lines:
    617-499-7200